MSU Extention Bulletin
- Burlew, S., Thelen, M., Powers, W., Schmidt, D., Klotz, M. 2016 Animal Agriculture and Climate Change in Michigan. Extension Bulletin E3303. East Lansing, Mich.: Michigan State University
- Venegas-Vargas, C., Henderson, S., Khare, A., Mosci, R.E., Lehnert, J.D., Singh, P., Ouellette, L.M., Norby, B., Funk, J.A., Rust, S., Bartlett, P.C., Grooms, D. and S.D. Manning. 2016. Factors Associated with Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli Shedding by Dairy and Beef Cattle. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 82:5049-5056.
- Westin, R., Vaughan, A., de Passille, A.M., DeVries, T.J., Pajor, E.A., Pellerin, D., Siegford, J.M., Vasseur, E. and J. Rushen. 2016. Cow- and farm-level risk factors for lameness on dairy farms with automated milking systems.Journal of Dairy Science 99:3732-3743.
- Westin, R., Vaughan, A., de Passille, A.M., DeVries, T.J., Pajor, E.A., Pellerin, D., Siegford, J.M., Vasseur, E. and J. Rushen. 2016. Lying times of lactating cows on dairy farms with automatic milking systems and the relation to lameness, leg lesions, and body condition score.Journal of Dairy Science 99:551-561.
- Chelotti, J.O., Vanrell, S.R., Milone, D.H., Utsumi, S.A., Galli, J.R., Rufiner, H.L. and L.L. Giovanini. 2016. A real-time algorithm for acoustic monitoring of ingestive behavior of grazing cattle. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 127:64-75.
- Singh, P., Sha, Q., Lacher, D.W., Del Valle, J., Mosci, R.E., Moore, J.A., Scribner, K.T. and S.D. Manning. 2015. Characterization of enteropathogenic and Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in cattle and deer in a shared agroecosystem.Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 5:29.
- Nieman, C.C, Steensma, K.M., Rowntree, J.E., Beede, D.K. and S.A. Utsumi. 2015. Differential response to stocking rates and feeding by two genotypes of Holstein-Friesian cows in a pasture-based automatic milking system.Animal 9:2039-2049.
- Pereira, A.B.D., Utsumi, S.A., Dorich, C.D. and A.F. Brito. 2015. Integrating spot short-term measurements of carbon emissions and backward dietary energy partition calculations to estimate intake in lactating dairy cows fed ad libitum or restricted.Journal of Dairy Science 98:8913-8925.
- Watt, L.J., Clark, C.E.F, Krebs, G.L., Petzel, C.E., Nielsen, S. and S.A. Utsumi. 2015. Differential rumination, intake, and enteric methane production of dairy cows in a pasture-based automatic milking system. Journal of Dairy Science 98:7248–7263.
- Jacobs, J. A. and J. M. Siegford. 2012. Invited review: The impact of automatic milking systems on dairy cow management, behavior, health, and welfare. Journal of Dairy Science 95:2227–2247.
- Jacobs, J.A., K. Ananyeva, and J. M. Siegford. 2012. Dairy cow behavior affects the availability of an automatic milking system.Journal of Dairy Science 95:2186–2194.
- Jacobs, J.A., and J.M. Siegford. 2012. Lactating dairy cows adapt quickly to being milked by an automatic milking system. 95:1575–1584.
- Haan, M., D. Conner, and P. Taylor. 2011. Pasture-based dairying in Michigan: farmer practices and needs. Journal of Extension [On-line] 49(3) Article No. 3RIB3.
- Haan, M., D. Stuart, and B. Schewe. 2012. Challenges and Benefits of Adopting Robotic Milking on Michigan Dairy Farms. Michigan Dairy Review 17(3).
- Siegford, J. and J. Jacobs. 2011. Effect of exit alley blocking incidences on the accessibility of the automatic milking system. Michigan Dairy Review 16(1):18-20.
- Siegford, J. and J. Jacobs. 2010. Do cows adapt quickly to being milked by robots? Michigan Dairy Review 15(4):8-11.
- Haan, M. 2010. KBS Dairy Achieves Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design Certification. Michigan Dairy Review 15(3):18-19.
- Haan, M. 2010. Outreach and Education Opportunities at the KBS Pasture-Robotic Milking Dairy. 15(1):12-13.
- Siegford, J. 2009. Cow Comfort at the New KBS Dairy. Michigan Dairy Review 14(4):1-3.
- Haan, M. 2009. KBS Studies Pasture-based, Robotic Milking System. Michigan Dairy Review 14(3):3-4.
- Plaut, K. 2007. New Opportunities at the Kellogg Biological Station. Michigan Dairy Review 12(4):22.
Proceedings Papers and Abstracts
- Elischer MF, Arceo ME, Karcher EL, Siegford JM*. 2013. Validating the accuracy of activity and rumination monitor data from dairy cows housed in a pasture-based automatic milking system. Journal of Dairy Science 96:6412-6422.
- Schewe, R.L. and D. Stuart. 2012. Replacing Dairy Farm Labor with Technology: family farmers on the treadmill of production. Rural Sociological Society Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL.
- Siegford J.M., M.F. Elischer, E.L. Karcher. 2012. The accuracy of activity monitor data from dairy cows housed in a pasture-based automatic milking system. Dairy Cattle Welfare Symposium.
- Stuart, D. 2012. In Search of ‘Happy Cows’: Can New Technology Address Alienation in Dairy Production? Joint Annual Meetings of the Association for the Study of Food and Society and the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society. New York, NY.
- Utsumi, S. and A. Cibils. 2011. Behavioral syndromes of dairy cattle (Bos taurus) across familiar and unfamiliar foraging environments. [Abstract] Ecological Society of America, 96th annual meeting, August 7-12, 2011, Austin, TX.
- Utsumi, S.A. 2011. (Invited Paper) “Strategies to increase automatic milking efficiency and milk production from high producing dairy cows”. In: Dairy Research Foundation: current topics in dairy production. Pietro Celi (Ed.). The University of Sydney, University Printing Services, Volume 16: 32-43.
- Mora-Delgado, J., A. Fauchille, N. Nelson, and S. Utsumi. 2011. Use of activity sensors and global positioning systems to study foraging behavior of dairy cattle grazing temperate pastures. [Abstract] Société écologique à responsabilité limitée (SERL), 7th Ecology & Behaviour meeting, May 2–6 2011, Rennes, France
- Nelson, N., A. Fauchille, and S. Utsumi. 2011. Spatial Memory and Selectivity of Dairy Heifers. [Abstract] Proceedings of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) 2011, Ithaca College, New York. March 31 - April 2, 2011, Ithaca, NY.
- Utsumi, S., M. Haan, R. Ashley, and J. Bronson. 2011a. Performance of automatic milking during a whole herd transition to grazing. Journal of Dairy Science 94 (E-Supp. 1):313-314.
- Utsumi, S., D. Beede, S. Zimmerman, and P. Zimmerman. 2011b. Whole herd enteric methane emission estimates in three contrasting dairy systems. Journal of Dairy Science 94 (E-Supp. 1):607.
- Zimmerman, P., S. Zimmerman, S. Utsumi, and D. Beede. 2011. Development of a user-friendly online system to quantitatively measure metabolic gas fluxes from ruminants. Journal of Dairy Science 94 (E-Supp. 1):760.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2011. Effect of exit alley blocking and back-up incidences on the accessibility of an automatic milking system. Proceedings of the 45th International Congress of the ISAE.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2011. Do cows adapt quickly to being milked by an automatic milking system? Proceedings of the Animal Welfare Forum: Zoo/University Partnerships in Applied Studies of Animal Welfare. January 23, 2011. Detroit Zoological Society, Detroit, MI.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2010. Do cows adapt quickly to being milked by robots? Proceedings of the 44th International Congress of the ISAE. 44:215.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2010. Effect of exit alley blocking incidences on the accessibility of an Automatic Milking System. Proceedings of the 5th annual Animal Science Graduate Research Forum, September 10th, 2010 East Lansing, MI.
- Haan, M. M., D.S. Conner, P. Taylor, and B. Dierberger. 2009. Economic opportunities for pasture-based dairies and outreach needs of Michigan pasture-based dairy producers. Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on Grazing Lands. December 13th – 16th, 2009. Sparks, NV.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2009. Are cows comfortable during the transition to an Automatic Milking System? Proceedings of the 4th annual Animal Science Graduate Research Forum, September 11th, 2009 East Lansing, MI.
- Haan, M. and K. Plaut. 2009. Development of a Pasture-Based Dairy Research and Education Center at the Kellogg Biological Station – a project update. Proceedings of the Great Lakes Regional Dairy Conference (GLRDC): February 5-7, 2009. Grand Rapids, MI.
- Jacobs, J.A. and J.M. Siegford. 2009. Combining pasture-based and automatic milking systems: A marriage of opposites or a match made in heaven? Proceedings of the 9th ISAE North American Regional Meeting, July 17-18, 2009 Montreal, Canada. 9:17.
- Haan, M.M., R.H. Leep, K. Gross, and C. McSwiney. 2009. Spatial variability of soil nutrients and forage quality within a pasture. Proceedings of the 2009 Annual Conference of the American Forage and Grassland Council. June 21 – 23, 2009. Grand Rapids, MI.
Theses and Dissertations
- Witaifi, A.A.M. 2014. The impact of stall and feed rail stocking rate on cow welfare and behavior in automatic milking systems. Masters Thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing.
- Nieman, C. 2012. Effects of stocking rate and supplementation on pasture utilization, cow performance, and rumen environment in a pasture-based and automatic milking system. Masters Thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing.
- Steensma, K.M.M. 2012. Foraging behavior of dairy cattle in a pasture-based system with automated milking. Masters Thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing.
- Jacobs J.A. 2011. Dairy cow adaptation to and interaction with an Automatic Milking System. Masters Thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing.