Fall Cover Crop Field Day
Date: November 3, 2017 - November 3, 2017
Location: Kellogg Farm 10461 N 40th St. Hickory Corners, MI 49060
Time: 10:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Join a group of MSU faculty and specialists, farmers and agricultural professionals for a tour of cover crop research and demonstration fields at the W.K. Kellogg Farm. A wide variety of cover crop entry points will be showcased, including inter-seeded into corn, after wheat, after corn silage, and in rotational pasture systems. Cover crops are being evaluated for both soil health benefits, as well as for livestock feed.
Friday November 3, 2017
10 a.m. – 12 noon – Wagon tour of projects related to cover cropping in grain and vegetable systems, including the following specific projects listed below. Experts will be available at each stop to talk about each particular project.
- Interseeded Cover Crops in Grain Corn
- Cover Crop Mixtures after wheat across a topographical gradient
- Cereal Rye and Hairy Vetch cover crops prior to organic vegetable crops
- Intermediate wheatgrass (Kernza) as a grain and forage crop
- Red clover frost seeded into wheat
- Cover crop species demonstration plot
- Oilseed radish variety evaluation
- Winter cereal forages following corn silage
- Winter Barley trials
12 noon – 1 p.m. – Pizza Lunch at the Kellogg Farm Conference Room
1 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Walking tour of annual forage crops being grown to complement a rotational grazing system based on perennial forages, including:
- Annual forage crops for summer and late fall grazing
- Interseeded Cover Crops in Silage Corn
2 p.m. – 3 p.m. – Optional continued discussion about utilizing cover crops as forages in livestock systems.